Roasted Baby Red Potatoes with Chives
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 50 mins
Serving: Makes approximately 13 small potatoes
1 pound of small red potatoes in similar sizes.
1 tablespoon of salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons of finely diced chives
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes and place them into a large heavy saucepan. Sprinkle a tablespoon of salt on potatoes. Add just enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove hot potatoes from pan and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a potato masher or something similar, smash potatoes just enough to break the skin, but stay together. They will be about ½ inch thick.
- Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on both sides of potatoes.
- Roast in the oven at 400* for 30 minutes, turning once, during baking.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes to crisp skin. Lower heat to 400*
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove potatoes to cool slightly. Sprinkle with fresh chives, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately as a side or appetizer.
This recipe can be easily adapted with a variety of herbs, cheese, or adding pancetta.